Wednesday, 14 March 2007

A man and his lycra

On Sunday 11 March, Cape Town held its 30th Annual Argus Classic Bike race, where over 39,000 cyclists took to the streets of Cape Town. Amongst them was international rider, Chester ‘Lance’ Wong, making his debut in international competition. Although riding a borrowed bicycle and wearing borrowed lycra (eew!), this didn’t stop Lance from clocking a time of 3 hrs 17mins, way ahead of Tour de France professional Jan Ullrich, who came in at 3 hours 30mins. Notorious for its 109km worth of mountainous terrains and treacherous roads, this race was no mean feat as he weaved in and out with dexterity and didn’t even get mugged!



















Someone hit a witches hat and sent 20 cyclists flying; The view from Chapman's Peak Drive that Chester would have enjoyed during the race; My action shot as they rode past near our home in Muizenberg.


Watch Lance Wong in action (he’s the 4th guy that cycles past and he sticks his left hand out):



If you can't view the video above, visit, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCBoLB5t6GA

Sorry, its really bad quality as YouTube shrunk the files down. If you want to see my original one, I can email it to you - its 19M.

WARNING – Gratuitous lycra shot below



keep going, dont forget I warned you!
















Chester, still smiling after cycling another hour just to get back home because the roads were still blocked off – most people took 5-7 hours to finish – ouch!

4 comments:

mushiejc said...

ooh sexy chezzy! good work lycra man!!

i can't see chezzy in the video he's just too speedy for me!

Anonymous said...

Haha! Eeyore multiplied! I thought you were only bringing 1! :)

Good to see you're living like the locals now and partaking in the local pastimes!! And I agree - eww! ehhehe. Poor wife who has to wash them the first time - ew!

Beckster said...

Oooh Chezzy you're so handsome!

Despite that I still think Ka would look better in the lycra though :)

JookBoy said...

Beating Jan Ullrich is no mean feat. I'm sure he must be featuring in the papers as the "new Australian talent in South Africa!" :)