The government came yesterday to pull down the Blue Waters Refugee Camp. We were concerned about where the refugees would end up living and worried that they would be forcefully removed from the camp.
Some had attempted a few weeks prior to return to the townships where they were driven out from earlier this year. But the xenophobic attacks still persisted, so they had to come back to the camp. Others have been able to find jobs and have reintegrated into proper suburban areas (not townships - which are like slum areas). So that's good news!
Fortunately, the SA government were not violent in their removal of the refugees and gave each person R1500 ($AUS 230) to get them started in their new life. The UN came and gave them a box with 3 saucepans and some sardines too. However, the question of where to go was still a big problem.
So...Jan opened up our church last night and we are now the proud recipients of 30 refugees in our Sunday School area. At first, when Jan told us he wanted to open up the church to house the refugees, I was really hesitant. I was just thinking about how inconvenient it would be for us now that we have people living in our church, there would be many disgruntled church members who we would have to placate, where would we teach Sunday School etc etc.
I am so embarassed by this reflexive and sinful reaction now - I realisedthat it is easier for me to be generous when there is not much 'cost/inconvenience' to me. But when the cost/inconvenience increases, it is harder for me to be generous with my time,energy and money. It shouldnt be that way at all - I was reminded of a couple of my favourite verses "If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth" (1 John 3:17-8) and "what good is it if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds...suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If you say 'Go I wish you well; keep warm and well fed' but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself if not accompanied by action is dead" (James 2:14-17). I praise God for challenging me in this way again (I keep having to learn this lesson!!) and for changing my attitude.
We do not know how long they will stay there, but some have heard of a big house for rent next Tuesday that can house 20 of them. Hopefully they will be able to rent it and find jobs in that area too. It is great to know that God keeps providing for them no matter what their circumstances are. These guys have nothing in terms of material possessions, compared to you and I, but they are so thankful and faithful to God for it all. I know that things will work out for them - but in the meantime, Im happy that they finally have a proper roof over their heads (they have been living in tents since May), access to a real kitchen and real bathroom. The only conclusion I can draw is that God is good!
Saturday, 1 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Ka and Chester!
Looking forward to catching up with you in the flesh when you return :)
I was just reading your post about jobs and just saw this and thought you might be interested http://www.kcc.org.au/positions
Post a Comment